Thursday, May 3, 2012

Remnants of an Afternoon in Ballard...


Yes, a half eaten brownie (some may call it sacrilege).  I intended to take beautiful, artistic pictures today on my afternoon journey outside the 3rd floor apartment I call home but alas, the weather didn't cooperate.  Also, I'm still scared to try and take my iPhone out when there is rain, so therefore I present my masterpiece for a rainy Thursday -- I call it "Rhapsody on rumpled napkin".  

I met a good friend of mine and her mom out at Miro Tea in Ballard.  For those of you who don't consider tea a slap in the face of all that is decent in humanity (i.e. non-native Seattleites), feel free to check it out:  http://www.mirotea.com/
It always seems fairly busy mid-afternoon mid-week which puzzles me.  It's not like I'm in LA anymore where literally no one works a 9 to 5pm.  I don't have much room to talk though since I'm a 34 year old undergraduate student who works as a part time tour guide.  I ran screaming from 9 to 5 hours several years ago and haven't looked wistfully back (ok, maybe one or two nostalgic glances).  
If you want to determine a neighborhood's vibe, a good place to start are coffee/tea shops.  It's funny though, I always feel like the proverbial "elephant in the china shop" when I go in to chat with a friend at these places nowadays.  Someone else recently pointed this out to me and it's true, no one talks in coffee shops anymore -- they all quietly work on some form of digital media -- cue Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence, right?  Let me know if you have found a boisterous coffee shop around you and I'll continue my research in Ballard.  Oh, yes it will involve caffeine (and the occasional brownie).


This is the view from my window right now.  You probably can't tell through the '80's blinds, rain and glass but there are workmen putting up a building next door.  This plot of adjacent land has had quite an interesting evolution in the six years that I've been here -- crack house, unofficial dog park and now they are building a halfway house for the homeless.  I'm actually all for the new use, homelessness is a tough issue that is close to my heart but it makes for an interesting transition during the building phase due to our proximity.  Over the years, my husband and I have developed a sort of Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window voyeuristic fascination with the events transpiring there.  Also, the Kinko's parking lot has made for some great material for the website "you park like an ***hole" (just saying).  But I have been faced with a dilemma of epic proportions -- do I have to put clothes on in the morning now?  



No comments:

Post a Comment